We can think of Faversham as the Northern Gateway to the Cinque Ports: Arthur Percival writes – “without its port Faversham would never have emerged as a town.”
In the late 1500’s the City of London imported more wheat from Faversham than from any other port. By the 1680’s the Creek was second only to Newcastle-upon-Tyne for the export of wool. Unlike some other members of the Cinque Ports confederation, Faversham remained open to waterborne traffic. In the 1890’s the basin at the head of the creek was occupied by a shipwright and block and mast-maker.
In our Purifier building the Creek Trust houses the building of wooden boats and a traditional block maker. In the following pages we describe some of the boats built in our Shipwright’s Hall, the skills and trades involved, and we take a look some historic sites that line the creek.
History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival – Part 10 A look at the history of the Creekside. In this series of features on the Creek let’s now start a stroll along its banks to see how its town reach...
History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival – Part 9 We have seen how the Creek’s viability as a commercial waterway was in jeopardy after the opening of Whitstable Harbour in 1832 and how it was successfully revived at the...
History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival – Part 8 In Part 7, we recorded how in 1878 the £1,500 cost of the new (present) Creek bridge was shared equally between the Faversham Navigation Commission, the Faversham Pavement Commission (a...
History of Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival – Part 7 By the 18th century there was a bridge at the head of the Creek, by the north end of Stonebridge Pond, linking West Street via Flood Lane with Brent Hill....
The Faversham Creek Trust has strength and credibility because it has members. Our members are very important to us.Join Today